Pembroke Takes 50th Milk Bowl Pole
Posted By Tj Ingerson On September 29, 2012
Categories: Thunder Road
PHOTO: Dave Pembroke set the fastest lap in time trial qualifying and will start tomorrow's 50th Milk Bowl from the pole position. Last year's polesitter, Brian Hoar, will start 2nd. (T.J. Ingerson/VMM photo)
--by T.J. Ingerson
BARRE -- Dave Pembroke set the fastest time in the marathon time trial qualifying for the 50th People’s United Bank Milk Bowl and will start from the pole position.
Last year’s Milk Bowl champion Brian Hoar will start on the outside pole position.
“I’ve wanted to be on the pole for this race and we’ve been close,” Pembroke said in his post qualifying interview. “Last year, these two cars (Pembroke’s and Hoar’s) were that are right here (on the front row), but I was on the other side. And, he won the race, too, so it helps a little bit. It’s pretty cool. A lot of cars show up here and to be the fastest one today, we’re happy about that.”
The Middlesex, Vt., veteran ran a 12.956 second lap in group time trial. His group was the second to last group to take time. Hoar’s group was among the few that went out before multiple delays for rain occurred. The session took over three hours to complete.
Thunder Road champion Nick Sweet claimed the win in the first 50-lap qualifying race and will start third in tomorrow’s Milk Bowl. American-Canadian Tour third place point runner Austin Theriault won the second 50-lap qualifying race and will start in the fourth position. Cris Michaud cruised to the win in the third 50-lap qualifying race and will start from the fifth position.
In dramatic fashion, Stacy Cahoon was able to nip Brent Dragon at the line in the second qualifying race and will start 16th in the Milk Bowl. The White Mountain Motorsports Park champion had to race his way into the Milk Bowl after he posted 32nd fastest lap in time trial qualifying and would have been unable to fall back on his time trial lap.
John Donahue started 14th in the first 50-lap qualifying race and drove to the front, where he finished fourth. Donahue also time trialed near the back and would have been unable to fall back on his time. Chip Grenier also worked his way from a 12th starting spot in his qualifying race to transfer into the Milk Bowl with a fourth place finish in his qualifying heat. Grenier time trialed in the 36th position and would have been unable to fall back on his time, as well.
Jimmy Hebert was able to get around Patrick Laperle in the final turn on the final lap to qualifying in the last transfer position. Hebert would have been unable to qualify based on his time trial lap.
Eric Chase was one of the unfortunate ones. Chase lost out to Scott Payea on the final lap by 0.030 seconds, less than a bumper, for the final transfer position and was unable to qualify through the qualifying races. Chase, however, was able to get in via a Thunder Road provisional.
Opening ceremonies for the 50th People’s United Bank Milk Bowl is scheduled to begin at 1:00pm tomorrow.
STARTING LINEUP -- 50th People’s United Bank Milk Bowl
Thunder Road Int’l Speedbowl, Barre, Vt.
Sunday, September 29, 2012
1. Dave Pembroke, Middlesex, Vt.
2. Brian Hoar, Williston, Vt.
3. Nick Sweet, Barre, Vt.
4. Austin Theriault, Fort Kent, Maine
5. Cris Michaud, East Montpelier, Vt.
6. Cody Blake, Barre, Vt.
7. Travis Fadden, North Haverhill, N.H.
8. Joey Polewarczyk, Jr., Hudson, N.H.
9. Trampas Demers, South Burlington, Vt.
10. Brooks Clark, Fayston, Vt.
11. Glen Luce, Turner, Maine
12. John Donahue, Graniteville, Vt.
13. Quinny Welch, Lancaster, N.H.
14. Chip Grenier, Graniteville, Vt.
15. Jimmy Hebert, Williamstown, Vt.
16. Stacy Cahoon, St. Johnsbury, Vt.
17. Scott Payea, Milton, Vt.
18. Patrick Laperle, St-Denis, Que.
19. Jeff Taylor, Farmington, Maine
20. Luke Hinkley, Claremont, N.H.
21. Brent Dragon, Milton, Vt.
22. Wayne Helliwell, Jr., Dover, N.H.
23. Ricky Rolfe, Albany Township, Maine
24. Grant Folsom, Waitsfield, Vt.
25. Jamie Aube, North Ferrisburg, Vt.
26. Phil Scott, Berlin, Vt.
27. Eric Chase, Milton, Vt.
28. Mike Bailey, South Barre, Vt.
29. Ray Parent, Tiverton, R.I.
30. Jean-Paul Cyr, Milton, Vt.
Reserve Milk Bowl Starting Lineup
1. Bryan Mason, Stark, N.H.
2. Travis Stearns, Auburn, Maine
3. Joey Becker, Jeffersonville, Vt.
4. Joey Laquerre, East Montpelier, Vt.
5. Jamie Fisher, Shelburne, Vt.
6. Dave Farrington, Jr., Jay, Maine
7. Joey M. Laquerre, East Montpelier, Vt.
8. Emily Packard, East Montpelier, Vt.
9. Bruce Jaycox, Hartland, Vt.
10. Dave Whitcomb, Essex Junction, Vt.
11. Chad White, Fort Ann, N.Y.
12. Spencer MacPherson, Calreton Place, Ont.
13. Jonathan Bouvrette, Blainville, Que.
14. Ricky Roberts, Washington, Vt.
15. Todd Davis, Claremont, N.H.
16. Sam Caron, Colchester, Vt.
17. Jimmy Linardy, Somerville, Mass.
18. Pat Floyd, Chester, N.H.
19. Matt White, Northfield, Vt.
20. Lance Allen, Barre, Vt.
21. Norm Andrews, Northfield, Vt.